Saturday, March 14, 2015

"Hello Friend" Gift Card Holder, Featuring Pebbles: Happy Day!

Hello!  Cat here from The Blue Crew.  Happy Saturday---I hope your weekend is off to an awesome start. 

My weekend is filled with a mile long chore list, but I am not even upset because at least there is no snow on the ground here in Keller!  Woot!  I am so ready for Spring and all of the sunshine and goodness that it brings. 

Speaking of Spring and sunshine and goodness, have you seen the Pebbles: Happy Day collection?  I'm smitten with the color combo.  The coral with the deep blue and the avocado green?  Yes, please! 



Nadine & Natalie already shared a few projects using this line on the blog earlier this week and today, I have another crafty tutorial to share with all of you.  I made a gift card holder with a fun Spring-loaded surprise (we'll get to that a little later).



Let's get started, shall we?
Supplies used:
1 - pillow box (available at The Little Blue House)
Patterned paper in Garden Walk, Weekend, Game Night & Fresh Air. (available here)
White cardstock
Thin, bendable wire, approx. 6-8 inches
Coordinating twine, 24 inches total.  (I used 2 colors, 12in each)
Glossy Accents (available here)
Quick Quotes chalk ink in Blue Jeans (available here)
Corner rounder
Pop Dots
Pencil
How To:
On the Garden Walk patterned paper, trace the outline of the closed pillow box & cut it out.  Make sure to cut just inside the trace line to get an accurate sized cut.  Ink your cut out with Blue Jean chalk ink (I used Quick Quotes Blue Jean ink for all of the papers in this project) and slide it into the pillow box as shown.




It should fit snuggly inside the pillow box, like so.
Take your wire and wrap it 5-7 times around a Sharpie like so.


Snip the wire and then straighten out each end just a little so it can be attached to your gift card. Then, using little scraps of paper and ATG adhesive (or washi tape) attach one end of the 'spring coil' to the gift card and the other to the floral paper backing inside the pillow box.




Cut out the 2x2 inch "Hello Friend" card out, a 2.5"x 2.5" square from the Weekend paper & a 2.5"x 2.5" square from the Garden Walk paper.  Use corner rounder to round corners, ink and then layer together the squares as shown below to make a tag with journaling spot on the back.  (The blue patterned paper that is kite tailed and attached to the top of the tag is actually the salvage strip from the patterned paper.)







Tie a bow using coordinating twine and use Glossy Accents to attach it to the tag. 



Since we want the gift card to be a surprise, I made a sleeve to fit over and hide the gift card. 
To make the sleeve cut a 12 x 3.5" strip of white cardstock and folded it around the pillow box, creasing it to fit.  Cut a 3.5 x 4.5" rectangle from the Game Night paper and adhere it to the center section of the white cardstock, as shown.

Cut a 12 x 1" strip of Fresh Air paper and adhere it down the front center of the white cardstock. (I'm sorry I don't have a pic of this step, but its easy peasy and you can see the placement in the final set of pics).




The sleeve will slide off to reveal your Spring-y surprise. The sentiment I wrote on the tag says "A little caffeine to put a SPRING in your step!"  See what I did there?  Isn't that the cutest?  I wish the pictures showed the little wiggle that the gift card does inside the pillow box.  I love how it turned out!  Fun and simple and cute---my kind of crafting!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Stay True Blue,
Cat

3 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea - love your "springy thing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow !
    I bought some of the plastic things last year and i was not sure how to decorate them.
    Now i know!
    super cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information. souvenir store

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and for visiting our blog!