Saturday, February 14, 2015

Love Bug Feature: Using Watercolor on a layout

Valerie here, sharing my layout that I made for the Front Porch Kit Design Team using watercolors to accent the photo and to enhance one of the papers that was in the kit. It was this piece of Crate Paper from the Kiss Kiss Collection
I loved the "B" side of this - the watercolor pinks were just gorgeous, but I wanted to be able to use both sides of the paper so I only wanted to use half of it on this layout
The right side of the has the watercolor - you can see it underneath the photo and the title
All you need to do this is some gesso, watercolors, a watercolor brush, and some water.
 First I used a plain piece of white cardstock and painted white gesso all down the right side. I didn't worry about the left side, because I knew it would be covered by the piece of patterned paper. I let it dry naturally - it doesn't take too long, but if you're in a hurry you can use a heat gun to speed the process
I then got my paintbrush very wet and chose the pink color I wanted and got it juicy wet with the paintbrush
I took my brush loaded with the paint and after determining where I wanted the photo to sit, I painted a line across the page.
 
When I had enough paint on my page, I dipped my paintbrush into water and swiped it across the paint on the page and let it drip down by tilting my page up
 To further make the paint move around (and also to help it dry), I used my heat gun to push the paint around and down to the bottom of my cardstock
This was the finished look
I then attached the patterned paper to the left side of my page, used some heart stickers right down the middle, did a little sewing, attached my matted photos to the correct spot and started layering the embellishments and added the title. Here's the completed project again
This Front Porch Kit is still available at the Little Blue House! You can purchase at the LBH or online at www.thelittlebluehouseonline.com

Leave a comment here today and you will be entered into a drawing for a LOVE BUG Prize Bag filled with lovely goodies! Winner to be announced TONIGHT!!!

Thanks for stopping by and have an awesome time creating!!

Valerie

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I haven't tried watercolor on a page yet but this has inspired me to get them out!
    Happy Valentine's Day ---- Kimberly B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The watercolor was a perfect touch on your beautiful LO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of using watercolors on the page and your directions were terrific! Will have to try this out on a LO!
    Thanks to all the artists who used their talents to make the "Love Bug Features" such a success! I've really enjoyed all the ideas and hope this will be continued next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and for visiting our blog!